« Restaurant Web Design Done Right | Main | My Killer iPhone App: Instapaper »

Replacing a MacBook Pro Fan

One of my MacBook Pro fans went crazy loud a couple months ago and started making more noise than a jet airplane taking off. One could try to make a case for it by stating that the white noise helps avoid distractions but that's not a long term solution.

So, I went to an Apple store where a "genius" told me it would take 3 days and $85 to replace the fan. That seemed ridiculous, so I ordered the fan online ($48.95 at the time) and installed it myself in less than 30 minutes once it arrived. Here's how:

MacBook Pro Fan Repair

This is what worked for me.

1. Power down, unplug, and remove your battery.

2. Unscrew all of the screws around the edges. Also remove all screws within the battery area. Then lift up the keyboard from the front. There are a couple latches near the front, so it helps to push back a bit against the front before lifting.

3. As you lift up the keyboard, you'll have an attachment (brownish orange) between the keyboard and motherboard. This can be disconnected by carefully lifting the connection from the motherboard.

Here is what things look like under the hood:

MacBook Pro Fan Repair

In my case, the right fan was shot. Of the two, it seems like it's a bit easier to deal with due to less chords overlapping it.

4. Remove the fan's mounting screws and tape, then pop it out:

As you can see, there was quite a bit of link built up between the fan and case:

MacBook Pro Fan Repair

5. Unplug the fan's power. This is a delicate job. Probably the most stressful part of the work. It pulls straight out with a little effort.

6. Plug in the new fan and reassemble.

Considerations:

1. Be careful with the keyboard. The screws removed from the outside were attached to drop down threads on the keyboard. Make sure they remain inside the case when reassembling. It's like putting a pizza box back together.

2. You can power up the computer while the keyboard is up if you keep the keyboard's power attached. This is a good way to verify that you've installed the fan correctly and that it works.

3. You'll need a some special screwdrivers. I picked up this set at Radio Shack that did the job:

Macbook Pro Fan Repair Screwdrivers

In the end, I paid less than Apple charged for the repair and was without a computer for 30 minutes rather than 3 days. I'd call that a win.

Comments

1. Posted by: Bill Heyman on March 28, 2009 5:43 PM:

I think this is a common MBP problem. I had the same thing happen to me.

My fan was replaced in-store, under warranty by Businessware Solutions in Chanhassen, an authorized Apple repair center. I wonder how much they would have charged you.

2. Posted by: Justin Chen on March 31, 2009 11:01 AM:

This happened to my MBP a couple years ago. Instead of fixing I switched to a refurbished MacBook, but since the old MBP is still sitting around maybe I'll try fixing it too. Thanks for the how-to!

3. Posted by: pinay on April 4, 2009 12:13 PM:

This post is very interesting and for sure that many MacBook users will love to know how to fix problems. I really want to have this kind but I guess this is not the right one for me.. :(

4. Posted by: Naomi "Digitalfangirl" Williams on May 7, 2009 7:32 AM:

This is both bold and awesome. Truly good to know considering how hot these MBPs get. May eventually need to repeat this method on my own MBP. Thanks for sharing this.

5. Posted by: Joe Murray on June 10, 2009 10:10 AM:

Thank you i'm an evangelist of another sort but I have a macbook pro and this guide is most helpful.

6. Posted by: Larry Iverson on November 12, 2009 10:09 AM:

This is a problem that Apple seems to be ignoring. My right side fan went out on my MBP15" 5,1. This laptop isn't even a year old and I've been running one fan for a while now. When processing video or similar temperatures can reach almost 195 degrees fahrenheit! Even with two fans running this seems crazy or an incorrect sensing from the SMC fan control freeware that I use to control fan speed.
I definitely wouldn't want my computer in anyone's possession for 3 days much less
in their hands out of my sight. I'll definitely be replacing this fan myself thanks for the info.

7. Posted by: Melody Yu on January 9, 2010 3:49 AM:

Dear Sir/Madam,
We are pleased to find your company information on internet and get know that you are dealing business on Macbook repair.
Here we would like to introduce our company profile for your simple understanding.
We (Luna Commerce Limited) are one of electronic parts suppliers in Shenzhen China .Our products including:

Notebook parts( LCD,LED, Super Driver, Glass, power adaptor, puller...)
iPhone GSM parts,
iPhone 3GS parts,
iPhone 3G parts,
iPod video parts,
iPod classic parts,
iPod touch parts ,
iPod mini parts,
iPod Nano parts,
Blackberry parts
Zune parts
PSP parts
HTC parts
Refurbished iPod video(30G/60G/80G)
Hard disk drive(such as Toshiba, Samsung, Hitachi…)

We believe that we can be your gold supplier, mainly because the following reasons:
1. The best quality: We are the gold supplier of Alibaba and we guarantee the quality which means that if you
find any problem with our products you can get the replacement immediately for free. We have deeply confidence
to be your trustworthy supplier and mutual benefit for both of us.
2. The most competitive price: We have the best the source of goods. So we can supply the competitive price that
our colleagues can not do. And please note that a small sample could also be sent to you for your final checking if the
price is finally acceptable. What’s more, we give our customers some discount for a large quantity ordered.
3 .The fast delivery: We will delivery the goods within 24/48 hours once we receive the remittance. And we make quick
and safe delivery to your doorstep via a reliable courier service (UPS, DHL, Fedex, and EMS).And the Tracking number
shall be sent to you to acknowledgement your shipment.
We are already supplier to many of service/repair Centre such as Encore repair ,iResq and Tech restore etc. With our top quality
parts and fast service I believe we can be good business partner in future.

If you want to know more about us, please visit our company web: www.lunacommerce.com
Welcome enquiries on any of our services and products. And sincerely hope there is a kind cooperation between us.
Looking forward to your prompt reply!
Yours faithfully,
Melody Yu
Company name:luna commerce,co.Ltd
Web: www.lunacommerce.com
Mobile: 0086-13590141212
Tel: 0086-755-83778144
Fax: 0086-755-83002630
Company address: #2001 NOR. Hua Qiang RD.Shen Fang A BLD. ROM. 909
Futian District Shenzhen City Guangdong China
E-mail: melody@lunacommerce.com
MSN: melodywork@live.com
Skype:melody.yu0622

8. Posted by: gps garmin on January 28, 2010 8:57 PM:

I am Macintosh lover, I will introduce to my friend too.ขายส่ง

9. Posted by: ทัวร์ยุโรป on February 2, 2010 10:24 PM:

We try to use other brand to compare it.

10. Posted by: ทัวร์ญี่ปุ่น on February 4, 2010 9:39 AM:

I still use the one I have. No change my mind.

11. Posted by: pattaya property on February 20, 2010 3:50 AM:

It's not good that try to sell something here in this post. pattaya realestate

12. Posted by: กาแฟ on March 29, 2010 9:37 PM:

Hello everyone and thank those who bring some useful information to study great thanks.ทัวร์ยุโรป

13. Posted by: pattaya house on March 29, 2010 10:05 PM: